Zereshk Polo, Persian Barberry Rice
Zereshk Polo or Persian Barberry Rice is one of the popular and delicious Iranian rice dishes. Serve it with Cooked Chicken.
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice (I used this brand: Saleem Caravan, Super Golden Basmati Rice)
- 1 cup dried barberries (also known as Zereshk, you can find at any Iranian store)
- 4 tablespoons sugar (you can add more, depends on your taste)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground saffron
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons slivered pistachios
Dissolve ground saffron in 1/2 cup of boiling water and set aside (click for How to Use Saffron).
Pick over the dried barberries (zereshk) and remove any stones. Then wash and drain. In a small pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the barberries and saute for 1 minute. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and salt, and saute for 1 minute. Add half of the dissolved saffron and cook for 3-5 minutes. Set the barberry mixture aside.
Meanwhile, prepare the plain rice (click for Persian Rice recipe). When rice is ready, in a small bowl mix 10-12 tablespoons of cooked rice with remaining of dissolved saffron.
Pour the barberry mixture over the saffron rice. Add the slivered pistachios, mix well.
To serve, place a layer of plain rice on a serving dish then a layer of barberry-rice mixture. Repeat the layers and serve with Cooked Chicken.
Note: Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Thanks!
You might also like these...