Ashe Berenj (Rice Soup) Recipe
Ashe Berenj or Rice Soup is a Persian soup and a great recipe for those cold winter nights. Ashe Berenj is also a perfect way to use up any leftover rice.
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 170 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 70 g green onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over to remove any stones
- 6 cups water
- 6 tablespoons crushed tomatoes
- 350 g extra lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice or more
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
Heat the cooking oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and fry until slightly golden. Increase heat to medium-high; add the ground beef and brown until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and add the nutmeg and turmeric powder.Stir well.
Add the crushed tomatoes and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring often. Then add cooked rice, lentils, coriander, green onions, water, salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Add more water during cooking if necessary. Add lemon juice before serving.
Note: Please do not use our photos without prior written permission.
You might also like these recipes...