Adasi (Persian Lentil Soup)
Adasi (Persian Lentil Soup) is an easy and delicious Persian soup made with lentil, onion, crushed tomatoes, and spices. If you are looking for a simple soup recipe for cold winter nights, make Adasi.
Yield: Serves 5-6
- 1 1/2 cups lentils (about 260 g), picked over to remove any stones
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5-6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice (add more or less, depends on your taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground angelica, also known as Golpar (optional)
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and fry for 5-6 minutes. Add turmeric powder and crushed tomato; fry for 1 minute. Add lentils, water, cinnamon, angelica, curry, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover the pot and simmer over medium-low heat until lentils are tender and desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Add more water during cooking if necessary. Add lemon juice, taste and adjust seasoning.
Note: Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Thanks!
You might also like these...